Sometime prior to the year 1820 Stephen W. Maples opened a store about half a mile West of Mulberry Creek, about three miles East of the present town of Maplesville. Daniel William's family had dammed the creek near there to power their mills. In 1823 Maples was designated as the local Post Master and handled the mail that came in by stagecoach, for the community. The community was located at the crossroads of the Fort Jackson road, which became the Tuscaloosa to Montgomery road and the Elyton road, which became the Birmingham to Selma road. Stage lines operated on both roads.
On the eight day of July, 1828, William H. Wilson and Andrew Woolley together purchased a Federal Land Grant, Certificate # 4045, in Township 21N-Range12E-Sec.12. On March 10, 1829, Wm. H. Wilson surveyed and laid out the business district of Maplesville on a portion of this land, which was named in honor of Stephen W. Maples. The official U.S. Post Office for the town was established in 1828. In 1830 Andrew Woolley was named the first official U. S. Post Master. In the following years Maplesville grew into a thriving town, with many businesses including a race track, also there were several Doctors, Attorneys, a Tavern and an Inn.
In 1853, the Alabama and Tennessee River railroad was completed at the present location of the town of Maplesville, at the time this small community was named Cuba, but the railroad train depot was named the Maplesville Depot. Over the next 10 years or so, for practical reasons, the merchants and others migrated from Old Maplesville and the community around the railroad depot was renamed Maplesville in 1859, when the Post Office was established here.
The majority of the families who now live within a 10 mile radius of Maplesville are descendants of the pioneer families who came here from GA and the Carolinas almost 200 years ago.